Steven J. Mandel
Steven J. Mandel
888-294-6669 (Toll Free: 888-2 WIN NOW)
Like many of the best and most talented litigators, Steve Mandel has a colorful, varied and exciting background. Born and raised on the tough, gritty streets of Brooklyn, Steve worked his way through college and law school as a professional musician and comedian. On stage performance was training that would later serve him well in representing clients. "Nothing fazes me in court," Steve says with a smile. "After doing standup comedy before 3000 people at a hotel, working in front of a judge, or six people in a jury box, is nothing."
Steve feels it’s vital to bring the "counseling" aspect back to the practice of law. In guiding people through some of the most difficult and emotional times of their lives, Steve sees each one as a unique individual. To him, clients are always people, not cases. It is for this reason Steve proudly refers to himself as a "Counselor at Law." In fact, the very first two people Steve represented over 30 years ago are still his clients today.
Winning or negotiating the best outcome for his clients is Steve Mandel's number one goal. He believes that balancing solid, thorough case preparation with an innovative, flexible approach brings the greatest opportunity for success. In fact, he is described as "the Picasso of the legal profession," because his special creativity is a proven factor in major monetary settlements and in overcoming obstacles to courtroom victory. "If a lawyer only knows the law, the legislature can repeal everything he knows," says Mandel. Steve has a proven ability to keenly assess each client's situation, and tailor an approach best suited to a successful outcome. For this reason, he has succeeded with what other lawyers might describe as "the un-winnable case."
Steve enjoys frequent guest appearances as an expert legal analyst on Court TV and NBC's Celebrity Justice. He's also appeared in national feature stories on Dateline NBC, CBS' 48 Hours, Geraldo, and CNN's On The Money. All major New York newspapers have quoted him extensively as an authoritative source on various legal matters. Steve is also on the Board of Directors and Chief Legal Counsel for Ed Randall's Fans for the Cure to fight prostate cancer.
He is actively involved in community support, volunteering his legal skills to the Multiple Sclerosis Society. In 2005, the New York City Chapter of the MS Society presented a special award to him, in recognition of more than 20 years of dedicated service.
Hard work has always been the cornerstone of Steve Mandel's law practice. He says, "To be a success, you only have to work half a day. It doesn't matter if it's the first twelve hours or the last twelve hours."
Steven is a graduate of Adelphi University with honors, and received his law degree from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. In 2011, he was awarded the Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating – the highest possible Peer Review Rating for those that have been recognized by their peers and judges to be the best in both legal ability and ethical practice.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law: Divorce, Child Custody & Support
- Gay and Lesbian Family Law
- Domestic Violence
- Grandparents Rights
- 80% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New York, 1980
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1981
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1981
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1999
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1985
- Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1979
- Adelphi University, Garden City, New York
- Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude - 1976
- Honors: With Honors
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating, the highest possible Peer Review Rating
- Spirit Award from National Multiple Sclerosis Society, New York City Chapter
- Legal Services Volunteer of the Year Award, from National Multiple Sclerosis Society, New York City Chapter
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society’s Volunteer Hall of Fame
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- New York County Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Brooklyn Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Westchester County Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Featured Judge: Yale University Moot Court Competition
- Featured Judge: Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law Moot Court Competition
- Legal Consultant: National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Board of Directors and Chief Legal Counsel: Ed Randall’s Fans for the Cure
Attorney Advertising Notice - prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.