skip to Main Content
Schedule A Consultation: (646) 770-3868

Learn More about Child Support

If you are having trouble collecting the child support owed to you, or you are having trouble meeting your child support obligations, you need an attorney to protect your interests. Contact our firm today to discuss your case with an attorney experienced in child support enforcement matters.

Divorcing parents may be ending their spousal relationship, but they will be parents forever. For this reason, it is important to handle sensitive legal issues involving child custody and child support with the utmost care and attention. At The Mandel Law Firm we help people from New York City, Long Island, Westchester County and throughout the surrounding region with a wide range of family law issues, including child support arrangements.

For more information, please visit our child support practice area page.

To schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys, please contact us today online, or by telephone toll-free at (888) 2 WIN NOW (888-294-6669) or locally at (646) 770-3868.

Child Support – An Overview

Enforcing the obligation to pay child support is a national priority. Federal legislation and state laws exist to make enforcement and collection of child support easier. Each state has particular guidelines for establishing child support and there are various methods to recover the support you are owed. If you are ending a marriage, are already divorced or are trying to hold your child’s other parent legally responsible, it is important to consult with a family law attorney.

Contact The Mandel Law Firm in New York City, New York, to learn more about your state’s child support laws. An experienced family law attorney can review your child support matter and help you find the best solution to meet your child’s needs.

Child Support and Taxes

Taxes can be reduced by allowed deductions and exemptions. Deductions reduce the amount of taxable income; exemptions reduce the adjusted gross income, such as standard withholding or dependency exemptions. If you pay child support or receive it, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has a strict set of rules in place to control the deductions and exemptions that you are allowed because of the payment or receipt of child support. Often, the terms of your divorce decree and related agreements will control the extent to which any tax offsets are available.

Child Support Resource Links

The Office of Child Support Enforcement

The Child Support Enforcement Program is a joint federal, state and local partnership to ensure that parents provide financial support to their children.

Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act

Federal law providing additional punishments to state measures for those who fall seriously behind in child support payments.

Child support and family law legislation database

A database of bills filed pertaining to child support and family law, provided by the National Conference of State Legislators (NCSL).

Interpretation and application of child support guidelines throughout the United States.

National Child Support Enforcement Association (NCSEA)

NCSEA is a nonprofit, membership organization representing the child support community.

Modifying Child Support

Child support orders can be modified to meet changed needs in the parents’ or child’s life. Either parent can petition the court for a modification. The court will then determine whether there has been a significant and material change in circumstances either concerning the child’s needs or the payor parent’s ability to financially meet his or her obligations.

Enforcing Child Support Orders

Parents must meet their child support obligations. Those who do not pay, pay less than required or pay sporadically may be subject to contempt proceedings, fines and even jail time.

When Do Child Support Obligations End?

Many factors are taken into account in determining when child support payments will end. In some situations, it is as simple as the child reaching the age of majority. In others, payments may not end until the child has graduated from college.

Need Counsel or Help to File for Divorce in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, the Bronx or Long Island? Contact Us Today.

To learn more about getting a Divorce in New York, contact us online or by calling locally at (646) 770-3868.

Back To Top