New York City Family Law Attorneys
Select Page


Attorney Profiles – The Mandel Law Firm
Home / Attorney Profiles / James Nemia

Marilyn T. Sugarman


After working for more than twenty years as a Special Referee and as a court attorney in a Matrimonial Part, I left the court in 2020 to go into private practice. I moved to a new firm in October 2022 where I am better able to utilize my skills that I developed while working in the Court both trying and settling complex matrimonial cases.
James Nemia Best Trial Attorney in New York
I firmly believe it is better for all concerned – especially children – to settle a matrimonial case rather than proceed to trial. But if the other side is unwilling or unable to settle, and it is necessary to go to trial, I know what persuades a trier of fact.
I am able to advise and represent high-net-worth individuals in all aspects of matrimonial and family law, including negotiating and drafting agreements and litigating child custody and complex economic issues, if needed. I am also able to mediate disputes or serve as a “private judge.” And, in keeping with my belief that the most important people in a divorce are the children, I am thrilled to now also be able to provide services as a Parenting Coordinator to divorcing or divorced families that are in need of such services.
Bar Admissions
Court Attorney Law Department, Supreme Court of the State of New York
Court Attorney The Honorable Joan B. Lobis, Supreme Court of the State of New York
Special Referee Supreme Court of the State of New York
Special Counsel Dobrish Michaels Gross LLP
Brooklyn Law School, 1984
Cornell University, 1981
Professional Associations and Memberships
Special Counsel at The Mandel Law Firm

Know More Attorneys

For more information about our founder and other attorneys, please follow the links below.

Need Counsel or Help to File for Divorce in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens,
Staten Island, the Bronx or Long Island? Contact Us Today.
To learn more about getting a Divorce in New York, contact us online or by calling locally at (646) 770-3868.