skip to Main Content
Schedule A Consultation: (646) 770-3868

Child Support

Establishing, Modifying and Enforcing Child Support

Child support is mandated by New York State law and must be included in any divorce settlement or decree. Contrary to what some people believe, it is not intended to punish the person required to pay it or reward the custodial parent who receives it. It is for the benefit of a child, and the obligation to pay child support cannot be discharged through bankruptcy or unemployment, and cannot be voluntarily waived by the custodial parent. Our child support attorneys at The Mandel Law Firm will help you understand the law of child support in New York and assist you to establish, modify or enforce child support.

“The sole purpose of child support is to benefit the children. It’s not about rewarding one parent or punishing the other.” — Steven J. Mandel

Experienced child support attorneys in the modification and enforcement of standing orders of support

While the amount of child support required will depend on the income of each parent, just because a custodial parent remarries or improves his or her financial situation does not mean the child support obligations of the non-custodial parent will change or cease. There needs to be a material, unforeseen change in your circumstances to entitle you to a modification of your child support agreement or order.

If you are the non-custodial parent paying child support, don’t wait until the court holds you in contempt for failing to abide by the terms of your divorce settlement or court order, as child support cannot be modified retroactively. This is a time to be proactive. The child support attorneys at The Mandel Law Firm help clients in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, Nassau and Westchester counties, and throughout the New York City metro area establish workable child support arrangements. We also offer experienced legal counsel in the modification and enforcement of standing orders of support.

Contact us today by telephone locally at (646) 770-3868 for a consultation.

How Much Child Support Will My Ex-Spouse or I Have To Pay?

Child support is calculated according to a formula contained in New York State law, known as The Child Support Standards Act. While the court is willing to take into consideration extenuating circumstances that affect one’s ability to pay child support, the formula used provides a good estimate of what you will be expected to pay. If the combined income of the parents exceeds $143,000 per year, a judge has the discretion to determine the amount of support to be paid over and above that amount.

If a non-custodial parent is currently paying child support for children from other marriages or mothers pursuant to Court Orders, the court may subtract the amount currently being paid and use the remaining amount as base income before applying the child support formula.

Child Support Enforcement

Failure to pay child support can impact your credit history, result in garnishment of wages, loss of your driver’s license and/or passport, and possibly even jail time. In extreme cases, the state may act to seize certain assets or property. As our world becomes increasingly wired, it has become easier and easier for individuals to be tracked and located. Individuals who fail to pay child support run the risk of encountering substantial legal and financial difficulty later – even if they manage to avoid problems initially. The child support attorneys at The Mandel Law Firm is ready to assist and lead you to the right way possible.

Modifying Child Support Payments

If illness or the loss of employment creates the need to increase the child support received or decrease the amount paid, a modification of child support may be appropriate. An informal verbal agreement between you and your ex-spouse or parent of your child will not be enforceable and could lead to future legal complications. Our child support attorneys can prepare all the necessary documentation for you to petition the court to seek a modification of the amount of child support you may receive or pay.

Schedule an Informative Consultation Today

If you have questions regarding the establishment, enforcement or modification of an order of child support, contact us online, or by telephone toll-free at (888) 2 WIN NOW (888-294-6669) or locally at (646) 770-3868 to speak with an experienced child support attorneys who can offer you honest answers and straightforward advice in a consultation.

You can also continue reading to learn more in our child support information center.

Need Counsel or Help to File in dealing with a Child Support issue in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, the Bronx or Long Island? Contact Us Today.

To learn more about obtaining Child Support Attorneys in New York, contact us online or by calling toll free at (888) 2 WIN NOW (888-294-6669) or locally at (646) 770-3868.

Back To Top