skip to Main Content
Schedule A Consultation: (646) 770-3868

New York City Child Support Modification Attorneys

In the scope of family law, there are few court orders that cannot be amended. You generally cannot undo a divorce or decide you really didn’t want to adopt the beautiful baby that has grown into an unruly teenager. But when appropriate, you can seek a Child Support Modification Order or Agreement. It is also possible to enforce these Orders or Agreements if your ex-spouse or your child’s other parent has failed to live up to his or her end of the bargain. At The Mandel Law Firm, our representation of you and your needs doesn’t necessarily stop the day your child custody and support agreement or divorce decree is finalized. Sometimes it becomes necessary to go back to court to seek a child support modification, contest a Child Support Modification Petition brought by an opposing party, or to enforce a Child Support Order.

Our lawyers can also represent you if you live outside of New York State but have a case pending in the New York courts. Often you can testify by telephone without ever having to travel to New York. Contact us today to discuss your child support modification or enforcement matter with an experienced and knowledgeable team to see if we are the best family law attorneys for you. Find out how we may be able to help without you ever having to come to New York State.

Child Support Modification — Careful Analysis of the Law and Your Circumstances

If a substantial change in circumstances, such as job loss or serious illness, generates the need to increase the amount of child support received or decrease the amount of child support paid, a child support modification may be appropriate. It is important to handle these matters as quickly as possible because child support payments are not retroactive and refunds are not available.

If the courts determine that a child support modification is applicable to your situation, they will apply the Child Support Standards Act formula on all combined parental income up to at least $143,000. If your combined income exceeds this amount, the court may use its discretion to determine the appropriate amount of support.

If you and your child’s other parent prefer to come up with an agreement outside of the court, you do not have to apply state guidelines. The attorneys at The Mandel Law Firm can simply draft the necessary documents to accomplish this for you. In any event, it is always in your best interests to consult an attorney so you will know exactly what your potential rights and responsibilities are when you “negotiate” the terms of your agreement. This is a classic example of knowledge being power. You also want to be certain the agreement you establish will stand up in court, if court intervention should become necessary.

Enforcement of Child Support — Collecting the Right Amount

The term “deadbeat dad” is quickly becoming a thing of the past. As technology continues to evolve, it becomes easier and easier for estranged mothers and fathers to be tracked, located and forced to pay child support. Failure to pay court-ordered or legally agreed-upon child support, or being in “arrears,” can have a very negative impact on your credit history, driving privileges, ability to travel and even your freedom. If you have been served with a petition for child support, whether for the first time or for “arrears,” do not ignore it. The consequences may be severe.

If you are owed child support from your child’s other parent, you can petition the court to take enforcement action. As your legal representatives, we will help you effectively present your case in an effort to make sure you actually receive the financial support to which your child is entitled.

Schedule Your Consultation Today With a Manhattan Child Support Modification Lawyer

If you need the help of an experienced New York City Family Law Attorney, call The Mandel Law Firm toll free at (888) 2 WIN NOW (888-294-6669) or locally at (646) 770-3868, or contact us by e-mail today.

Need Counsel or Help to File or Contest a Child Support Modification Petition in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, the Bronx or Long Island? Contact Us Today.

To learn more about Modifying & Enforcing Child Support Orders in New York, contact us online or by calling locally at (646) 770-3868.

Back To Top